According to Snopes.com and Urban Legends, the 28th Amendment which is being cited a lot lately on social media sites was at one time proposed, but never voted into law…and what’s worse, it’s not likely it will be.
Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States.
At the present time, there are only 27 amendments to the constitution and this “proposed” addition has been circulating for years. How stupid are we as a combined population not to force this to be put before the house for consideration and filibuster for it’s passage. I’ll tell you why…we all saw how successful Ted Cruz was after 26 hours of trying to dissuade the passage of Obamacare, so why would anyone invest their time? Of course, as I mentioned, it’s highly unlikely to be passed since our elected officials seem to consider themselves above the law and exempt from anything they deem suitable for us.
Recently, a certain email has been making the rounds, supposedly initiated by Warren Buffet. Deemed, the Congressional Reform Act 2011…it started in 2010 and now has reappeared in a 2013 version:
Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. In three days, most people in The United States of America will have this message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.
Congressional Reform Act of 2013
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
Both the reform act and the proposed 28th amendment make a great deal of sense to me. The latest slap in the face came in the form of Congress exempting themselves from health care that is being foist upon most of us. How much longer are we going to tolerate the childish and superior attitude of our politicians before we take a stand and call things like they are? I would have said, “call a spade a spade, but if you’re against the current administration no matter how you align yourself, you’re considered a racist. I’m not, have never been and never will judge a person by their color. I firmly believe we are all God’s children, but I’m trying to figure out how the current politicians believe they are on the same level as our heavenly father. There…now I’ve offended the atheists, too. I’m an equal opportunity offender.